Zoned heating and air conditioning systems provide homeowners with the ability to set specific cooling and heating temperatures for different areas of the house. Zoned systems act much like multiple light switches that independently control lighting in different rooms – multiple zone thermostats control temperatures in different areas of the home. For example, in the summer time your upstairs may get warmer than lower levels of your house. A zoned system allows you to have the AC running upstairs while leaving it off on those lower levels.
How does a zoned heating or air conditioning system work?
- Zoned systems do not involve multiple heating or AC units; rather, the air that is supplied by a single unit is distributed to appropriate areas of the home via “dampers” or valves.
- Each damper is in charge of controlling the airflow to a specific zone within the house. Zones can be categorized in a number of different ways (by room, floor, section, etc.)
- Zoned systems are controlled using multiple thermostats rather than a single thermostat. Each zone in the house will have its own thermostat which can be set to its own temperature. A single zone could be set to Discount Heating and Cooling, for example, while another could be set to 74.
- When the air temperature in a zone exceeds or becomes less than the desired temperature, the heating or air conditioning system will kick on. Dampers for that zone only will open, disbursing air appropriately until the proper temperature is reached. Once that happens, the dampers close and the unit shuts down.
What are some of the benefits of a zoned heating or air conditioning system?
- Zoned systems are dedicated to heating or cooling specific portions of a home, ensuring that no energy is wasted on sections of the home that may not need to be heated or cooled
- Homeowners can adjust the temperature for specific sections of their house, ensuring the temperature in each section is set at an optimal comfort level
Zoned heating and air conditioning systems are one of our specialties at Discount Heating and Cooling. For more information on how we can install or repair a zoned heating and air conditioning system in your home – including a free rate quote – please contact us.
Save up to 35% on Federal Tax Savings